A New Hampshireite's amateur pictorial view of Alaska each day. Keep in mind, I call myself an idiot with a camera, not a photographer. I’m only trying to show people what I see every day, not make an artistic statement.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Afternoon From Work

Yesterday was much more visually pleasing day than Monday, as I got to see the sun for a little bit sometime between noon and 3ish! The temperature started to fall below zero, but not too very far, as I was still able to run outside and snap a few pictures without bothering to throw on a coat or a sweatshirt. Alaskan t-shirt weather I suppose. The cold up here in the interior feels so different from cold I grew up with back in New Hampshire. I never realized exactly how damp everything is on the East Coast until living in the Arctic Desert. Even the snow is very different. I might have examples of that to post tomorrow.

Everyone up here is getting ready for Christmas. We even have a half day at work! In spite of that, it's been a bit busy this morning.
***

First up is a shot of the UAF Power Plant. The tracks in the snow leading into the building are for the coal cars. I can't remember how many coal cars they go through during the cold snaps, but it is a decent amount.
The view from the back yard looked quite pretty yesterday around 2:30. I snapped a quick series of pictures in an attempt to catch part of the pink and yellow afternoon sky before the sun went down. In spite of chopping off a few treetops, and the appearance of a fence rail in the bottom this was about the best of the bunch. Note to self, take the time to at least wear a sweatshirt next time or purchase a tripod for better camera stability after the holidays...
A blurry afternoon sunset sky. Hey, anyone out taking pictures in just a t-shirt and jeans would have a hard time standing still after a while in six or seven degrees below zero... I did think the unintentional blur made the colors look even more soft and pretty though, so I tossed it up here.
Finally, here's some Alaska style decorating. A bunch of the ladies in the office and I added a bit of holiday flair to the warehouse. The tinsel was all my doing. Also to give you an idea of work, I spend quite a bit of time standing behind the counter. Usually I’m standing behind the counter on the opposite side of the little tree.
***
I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, and enjoyed a Joyous Yule (my solstice was great thank you very much)!
I'll see if I can get some holiday looking pictures this afternoon, as well as some regular people having fun after work.

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Originally from NH, I moved up here in June 07. I always felt like I didn’t quite fit in back east, for some reason up here seems to work out better for me. I’m fairly atypical when it comes to a lot of usual womanly things, yet it works for how life is up here. I miss the ocean since I live in the middle of the state, but the dry climate suits me none the less. At least I don’t feel trapped in an urban setting anymore.