A New Hampshireite's amateur pictorial view of Alaska each day. Keep in mind, I call myself an idiot with a camera, not a photographer. I’m only trying to show people what I see every day, not make an artistic statement.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Photos from Dec 29th

All of the photos displayed in this post are thanks to Joe. He braved the cold during his morning break (around 10 AM) to snap a nice set of pictures of the sunrise and the city of Fairbanks. All photos are taken from the roof of one of the buildings up on UAF's West Ridge.

Everything I tried to take came out overly blurry, since it was cold enough to make my camera not want to behave outside. It also drained the batteries. Somehow I doubt my little Fugi was cold weather tested.

I'm going to leave these photos as rather large ones. The colors are stunning, and I can't bring myself to take anything away from them. Joe's new camera takes awesome pictures.





***
Starting off here is the sun over the valley. You can see the inversion layer hanging over the tree tops and a few mountains in the background on the horizon. This one is a nice reminder that the sun is, indeed, still present for a bit during the day. After a while one tends to forget that fact...





Mountain range framed by a couple of the vents from the building.

The city in fog. It really isn't that polluted up here but everything looks even worse since even a "cool" temperature will start steaming at thirty below.

Trees in the valley.

This picture is a great example of the inversion layer. The wind isn't blowing- it's so cold anything in the air flattens out and hangs at a certain level. That's how the ice fog forms.


Great shot of the mountains!


More mountains. You can really see for miles in this cold!Without so much zoom. That sunrise would make an awesome cross stitch pattern!


A panoramic view of a Fairbanks sunrise.
I all most forgot to add one final photo. Here’s the UAF temperature as of 4:40ish on Monday evening.

***

One of the things I enjoy the most about living up here are all of the colors I can see during the winter. Even in during the dark and days made almost entirely of twilight, there are so many different shades of blue, purple, pink, yellow, and orange that it is hard to explain. So many people ask me how I can handle living in the dark for so long- I have to tell them it makes me appreciate the different colors found everywhere even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Originally from NH, I moved up here in June 07. I always felt like I didn’t quite fit in back east, for some reason up here seems to work out better for me. I’m fairly atypical when it comes to a lot of usual womanly things, yet it works for how life is up here. I miss the ocean since I live in the middle of the state, but the dry climate suits me none the less. At least I don’t feel trapped in an urban setting anymore.