A New Hampshireite's amateur pictorial view of Alaska each day. Keep in mind, I call myself an idiot with a camera, not a photographer. I’m only trying to show people what I see every day, not make an artistic statement.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Eve

I am so terribly behind! Keep a watch for backdated posts all day today, since I do have a plethora of photos to toss up here. Joe has been an enthusiastic helper for this project since purchasing a new camera right before Christmas. I finally managed to snag his SD card and upload some good shots. I appreciate it, since my camera isn't fond of being exposed to the cold once it gets around 25 below zero or colder. His new camera seems to handle the cold a lot better than mine which is a good thing considering the weather this week.

With all of that said, I'll bring on the pictures from Dec 30th in this post.


No, that isn't snow you see. Those white dots are particulates normally found in the air, but as it gets colder small bits moisture ends up freezing to them which makes them slightly larger than usual and much heavier. You can't really see them that well with the naked eye (yay for camera flashes), but they do seem to form a fog at times or just hang around and decrease the air quality.



Celestial photo as the sun finishes setting. I can all ready tell the days are getting longer. Even as recently as last week, the light would have been pretty much gone by 4:40ish PM after work.
***

I will hope for the best regarding pictures today. I know Joe wanted to see if he can snap a few of the fireworks tonight, so my fingers are crossed. The temperature is around -45 to -50 and colder. It's hard on just about everything, even vehicles with trickle chargers and all of the heating pads aren't that happy about starting. The seats in the truck were rock hard when I got in, and it took a while for the tires to round out too.

I wish everyone a wonderful New Year full of fun and happiness. Have a great celebration tonight, but remember to take care of yourself and others- don't drink and drive. Stay warm folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Originally from NH, I moved up here in June 07. I always felt like I didn’t quite fit in back east, for some reason up here seems to work out better for me. I’m fairly atypical when it comes to a lot of usual womanly things, yet it works for how life is up here. I miss the ocean since I live in the middle of the state, but the dry climate suits me none the less. At least I don’t feel trapped in an urban setting anymore.