A New Hampshireite's amateur pictorial view of Alaska each day. Keep in mind, I call myself an idiot with a camera, not a photographer. I’m only trying to show people what I see every day, not make an artistic statement.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Very Merry One

Christmas Eve was a lovely day! I only had to work half of the day, it snowed all day long, and it was quite nice indeed.


***

Early in the morning it really was beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (Thanks to Joe for the photo.)
One of my favorite things about the downtown post office are the metal decorations in their wall. There are quite a few different designs, and all of them depict ways the mail has been delivered in Alaska at one point or another. I admit, the dogsled design is one of my favorites.
Each year downtown Fairbanks gets a bit of ice art. I'm not sure exactly what this one will turn in to, but they got a good start on it before it got too cold to carve the blocks. Joe snapped this picture as we were waiting at a traffic light on the flag bridge.

Food Factory is one of the local restraints. Their food is pretty good, and they have a "Beer Around The World" program. Once you get your beer passport filled out for each country, you get a free t-shirt. Currently a couple of friends and I are about a third of the way done. Not bad, considering it's something we do only twice a month or so.

Another photo for the folks out there who can't seem to believe me when I tell them we do actually have many of the same stores up here as the rest of the country. If only Fairbanks had its own Target too. Then I would be quite happy!
***
Lunch after work on Christmas Eve was a lot of fun. I gave a friend of mine a gift card that was frozen in a Nalgene bottle of water. Now I wonder what will happen in retaliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Originally from NH, I moved up here in June 07. I always felt like I didn’t quite fit in back east, for some reason up here seems to work out better for me. I’m fairly atypical when it comes to a lot of usual womanly things, yet it works for how life is up here. I miss the ocean since I live in the middle of the state, but the dry climate suits me none the less. At least I don’t feel trapped in an urban setting anymore.