A New Hampshireite's amateur pictorial view of Alaska each day. Keep in mind, I call myself an idiot with a camera, not a photographer. I’m only trying to show people what I see every day, not make an artistic statement.

Monday, December 22, 2008

First Day of a New Season

Earlier this winter I came up with an idea. I decided I wanted to create a way of sharing my day to day experiences with friends and family, as I started to grow tired of answering the same questions or comments regarding my surroundings up here. Many things are difficult to explain and a lot of times the answers are from either side of the spectrum, "Yes, there ARE stores and malls up here," to, "It's sixty below here and will take over 6 hours to get to Anchorage, of course I'm not going over this weekend!"

Alaska is different. The people are quite different, but in a good way as well. With all of that said, it is also shocking how normal daily life is as well. In that case, I live in a gigantic 591,004 square mile Catch-22. In any case, I love it up here.

With all of that said, I suppose I should get down to business and post my first few pictures.



Sunset around 2:30 PM on the Winter Solstice. I loved the orange colors, so I left this one as a large photo.


Even though I couldn't see Denali it's still a nice picture of some of the mountains with the sunset around them.



I believe the layer of fog in the distance is hovering above part of the Tanana River or the flats. It usually is at any rate and tends to look both mysterious and beautiful as the sun goes down.



The building that looks like a sliced off part of the Sydney Opera House is UAF's Museum of the North. I liked the way the sunset reflected in the window.

***


Yesterday was around -15, so the weather isn't all that different from a cold snap anywhere else. It is obviously a lot darker here, since the sun doesn't peek too far over the horizon all day. I'll try for a few shots of that today from my breaks at work.

So there you have it. The start of a new seasonal year, and something new for me to keep up.

All photos included in this post were taken Sunday December 21st, 2008.

2 comments:

  1. My god that first one is fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to many more of these.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Originally from NH, I moved up here in June 07. I always felt like I didn’t quite fit in back east, for some reason up here seems to work out better for me. I’m fairly atypical when it comes to a lot of usual womanly things, yet it works for how life is up here. I miss the ocean since I live in the middle of the state, but the dry climate suits me none the less. At least I don’t feel trapped in an urban setting anymore.